20 Things You Must Know About Sam Matekane
Here are 20 Things You Must Know About Sam Matekane, Lesotho richest man and the country’s most celebrated businessman !
- Sam Matekane started Matekane Group of Companies was established in 1986 as Matekane Transport and Plant Hire
- His business widely invested in Aviation, Property Development, Mining, Hospitality and Farming
- Sam is widely known as Lesotho’s richest man
- He is the 7th child out of a family of 14 children of his deceased parents Mr. Hoohlo and Mrs. Mantuba Matekane.
- His property portfolio includes Mpilo Estate, Mpilo Boutique Hotel
- Sam Matekane was recently crowned the 2022 Lifetime Achievement Award Winner At The African Business Leadership Awards
- During COVID-19 the Businessman pledges up to R30 million to upgrade Lesotho’s lab system
- Sam Matekane is the First Mosotho to be awarded Forbes Best of Africa Leading Entrepreneur
- Sam was born on the 15th March 1958 in the Mants’onyane Village in the District of Thaba-Tseka Lesotho
- Sam has 6 Children and 7 grandchildren.
- He attended a local Primary School in Mants’onyane, Bocheletsane Pimary School and passed his PSLE and progressed to Mabathoana High School in Maseru where he passed his Junior Certificate.
- He started Matekane Mining Investment Company in 2004.
- In 2009, he launched the Matekane Aviation with just one helicopter and a private jet. The Company has since now acquired another helicopter and two Bombardier CRJ200’s. In March 2016, the Company was formally registered as an Airline trading as Maluti Sky.
- Through his love for farming, he founded the MGC Express which owned three farms in South Africa.
- Matekane Group of Companies owns the following subsidiaries: MGC Mining , MGC Properties, MGC Aviation, Organica Global Brands, Verve Dynamics Incorporated and MGC Express.
- Sam’s businesses employs a workforce of 681 who include professionals in different fields.
- His MGC company ventured into the Cannabis business in 2017 and is currently expanding in the industry.
- For many years he has been sponsoring the Roof of African race
- His love for vintage cars has led him to a collection of Vintage Cars and has since collected Ten Vintage Cars.
- Sam is vying to become the Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Lesotho